Friday 18 December 2009

One night in Bangkok

So I arrived on Monday. Took a walk around the Khao San Road area and decided very quickly it wasn’t for me. Had a couple of beers and some street food and went to bed. Luckily I chose a hostel away from the main drag in a nice quiet spot and so I had a pretty good and well needed night’s sleep; at least, that is, until about 7.15am when I was rudely awoken by crashing footsteps from above and strong Bangkok sunlight pissing through the huge window next to my bed… Ah, welcome to the world of the backpacker!

Yes, folks, I have begun this new adventure in the style I must become accustomed to... the lumpy pillows, the bugs, the unlined curtains, the paper-thin walls, the smell of the unwashed gap-year traveller, the earnestly dreaded and pierced cultural vampires, the drug tourists, the sex tourists, the package tourists, the ravers and rockers, the tuk-tuk chancers and two-bit hookers, the lady boys and lovers. You name it, I’ll find them for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment